Household pests such as ants, rats and cockroaches are really a headache. They invade many homes causing trouble to many people. Many people get rid of them using commercial pesticides which contain toxic chemicals that can be harmful to the user and the environment.
Why use an expensive toxic chemical when there are natural pest control products that you can use as a substitute? They are safe to the environment and safe to use while effective in getting rid of household pests.
Here are some of the common household pests and natural pest control for killing them.
Mosquitoes cannot enter your home if you seal their point of entry. But if they are already inside, you can still eliminate them using natural pest control techniques.
Natural pest control for mosquitos:
- To repel mosquitos, prepare 1 tbsp. garlic juice and mix with 5 tbsp. water and put in a small spray bottle. Spray on exposed body parts. This solution can protect you up to 6 hours.
- You may also apply neem oil in your exposed body parts to repel mosquitos.
Your first line of defense against ants is to remove their attractants that is, food. Keep your counters clean and free of crumbs, sugar droppings, unsealed food containers, and the like. But if you are already under attack, you might as well try several natural pest control methods.
Natural pest control for ants:
- Sprinkle talc powder, baby powder or black pepper powder where they crawl on.
- You may also spray them with generous amounts of vinegar which can kill them.
Cockroaches are usually found in the kitchen specifically in the kitchen sink or under it. They can also be found in the bathroom. They like to be around dirty places in your house. To avoid cockroaches, maintain cleanliness in your kitchen and bathroom as much as possible.
Natural pest control for cockroaches:
- Leave bay leaves, garlic and cucumber slices in affected areas to deter cockroaches.
- Dissolve 2 tbsp. of detergent powder in 2 cups of water and put in a spray bottle. Spraying this solution to cockroaches will kill them.
Uncovered garbage bins or accumulated garbage are common breeding grounds of flies. With proper garbage disposal, the presence of flies can be reduced.
Natural pest control for flies:
- Wrap bay leaves, garlic cloves and eucalyptus in a small cheesecloth and hang them in the flies’ point of entries such as doors and windows.
- An absorbent cloth with eucalyptus oil can also deter flies.
Rats and Mice
One of the best ways to get rid of rats and mice is to introduce their predator – the cat. But if you don’t want to keep a cat in your home, you still have other natural options.
Natural pest control for rats and mice:
- Burn a large amount of rosemary in your frying pan or oven then put in places where rats and mice crawl. They hate strong odors and it will deter them from crawling in those places again.
- Cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil will work the same way as the rosemary.
- Another option is to prepare a small dish with Coke and put it in places where these pests are usually found. Once they drink the Coke their digestive system will explode killing them, as they don’t have the ability to burp.
So next time your home is under attack by pests, think green! Think of the natural pest control products that you can use instead of the toxic ones.